for huck's big birthday last week, we took him to see the big apple circus.
he loved it.
(so did we.)
(blurry, but hilarious)
afterward we ran home for cake and candles and presents and tubs and bed.
all in all, it was a pretty good day to be king henry.
and now, a little bit about henry holbrook on this his second anniversary of rocking our socks off:
- things huck likes to point out on our walks: "giants!" at the park (yes, those would be statues), fire trucks (kills me dead how cute he sounds when he says "fire truck"), puppies, all the puppies, and he also has a keen sense of where all the playgrounds are relative to his exact location and when we're close to one (or close to church where he loves to go to nursery) he'll cry out in disbelief and horror if we don't go there straight away.
- you know that one part of dumbo when dumbo starts flying and huck shouts at the top of his lungs from his ottoman perch, "he fwying! he fwying!" well. let's remember that forever, yeah?
- speaking of, until you have seen henry holbrook flapping his wings and "fwying" from his stroller for a big kid who has his attention, you've never lived.
- huck has the craziest attention span of any two-year-old i've ever known. we felt pretty confident that he'd make it the full two plus hours at the circus, and even after refusing a nap that day, he was a perfect gentleman. i'm starting to realize that this kid is some kind of hero kid and that we lucked out in a major, major way.
- huck loves himself a good taco. seriously, slap anything between a tortilla and call it a taco and he'll eat it happily. "tato!"
- there is nothing sweeter in this world than the way huck says "ohh-tayyyy" at you when you ask him if he'd like something. oh gosh, melts my heart dead. the emphatic "no!"s are less fun, but even then i'm so in love with this new, english-speaking huck i've got here that i don't even mind. there's really nothing better than asking your kid a question and then getting a glimpse into how their little brains are working.
- on this topic, anybody who's ever met huck and had a chance to have "a conversation" with him always says the same thing: "once this kid starts talking? he is NEVER going to stop." i already feel sorry for brandon, our token man-of-few-words at this house.
- huck shows no sign of interest in self-weaning. the boy loves to nurse. and leave it to huck to find a way to come down with a cold the week i get serious about "cutting back." the boob is just his love language, what can i say?
- wiping our face is the rudest! when he was a baby he loved having his face wiped but i guess nothing gold can stay.
- huck loves to brush his teeth, put on socks, try on daddy's shoes, and steal mom's underwear fresh from the dryer and wear it on his head. when i change his diaper he likes to hold the fresh diaper for me while i clean him up. sometimes he'll lay it dramatically over his face and say, "duck!" (only some of his diapers have ducks on them, but the ducks are apparently quite memorable.)
- huck feeds himself three-quarters of a yogurt cup for breakfast every morning, positively hates scrambled eggs, but like any good new yorker, can do quick work of an egg and cheese on a bagel from the corner deli.
- he loves animals, loves making animal sounds, and especially enjoys animal toys that are small enough to fit in his chubby fists so they can accompany us on our daily errands around the city.
- huck likes a good slice of nyc pizza as much as his mama does (so, a lot).
- but he hates going into the j.crew passionately.
- huck has a surprisingly dry little sense of humor. he pulls these faces at me? right on time, too, it's amazing. my favorite is the frown-smile he makes when he finds something funny that he knows he shouldn't find funny. and i'm like, kid! where are you getting this from?! his comedic timing is pretty spectacular too. the next couple years with this guy are going to be pretty flipping fantastic.
oh, huck. you're it, kid. all of it.
and thus concludes the huck portion of holbrook birthday season 2012.see ya next year, birthdays!